- Cancer treatments are changing and constantly improving.
- Clinical trials often offer emerging treatments.
Learn about clinical trials and see if one is right for you.
Here are some examples of emerging treatments for lung cancer:
- Ablation therapies
- Radiofrequency ablation uses thermal energy to kill cells
- Cryotherapy uses extreme cold to kill cancer cells
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT)
A special chemical is injected into the blood stream that stays in cancer cells longer than regular cells. A laser beam activates the chemical in the cancer cells and kills them.
- Vaccine Therapy
Tumor cells are used to develop a vaccine and then injected into the person. The vaccine aims to make the immune system recognize the tumor as foreign and attack the cancer cells.
Many of these emerging therapies are still being tested. Talk to your doctor about these treatment options.